World Congress on Thyroid Cancer 3.5
June 20 – 22, 2019
World Congress on Thyroid Cancer 4.0
July 29 – August 1, 2021
WCTC3.5 Steering Committee:
Rocco Bellatone, Co-Chair
Celestino Lombardi, Co-Chair
Gregory W. Randolph, MD
Bryan McIver, MD
Jeremy Freeman, MD
Ian J. Witterick, MD
Ashok R. Shaha, MD
Jatin P. Shah, MD
EP106 – Extent of central lymph node dissection for papillary thyroid carcinoma in the isthmus
Young Woo, Chang1; Hye Yoon, Lee1; Hwan Soo, Kim1; Gil Soo, Son1
1 Department of Surgery, Korea University College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Background: The incidence of papillary thyroid carcinoma (PTC) arising from the isthmus is low; however, these tumors have aggressive clinical and pathological features. Moreover, the existing guidelines regarding the extent of surgery for this type of tumor are unclear.
Material & Methods: This study enrolled 282 patients who underwent total thyroidectomy with bilateral central lymph node dissection. The patients were divided into 2 groups based on the location of the median line of the PTC. Group I included patients in whom the median line was located between the lateral margins of the trachea; Group II included all others. We compared the 2 groups and conducted a multivariate analysis to assess risk factors for contralateral node metastasis from a PTC arising from the isthmus.
Results: Patients in Group I had significantly higher frequencies of extrathyroidal extension and central lymph node metastasis. Group I also had a higher frequency of contralateral node metastasis, and a tumor size >1.0 cm was identified as an independent risk factor for contralateral node metastasis among patients in this group.
Conclusion: Bilateral central lymph node dissection should be considered for patients with PTCs >1.0 cm in size that have arisen from the isthmus.
- Nixon IJ, Palmer FL, Whitcher MM, Shaha AR, Shah JP, Patel SG, Ganly I 2011 Thyroid isthmusectomy for well-differentiated thyroid cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 18:767-770.
- Lei J, Zhu J, Li Z, Gong R, Wei T 2016 Surgical procedures for papillary thyroid carcinoma located in the thyroid isthmus: an intention-to-treat analysis. Onco Targets Ther 9:5209-5216.
- Wang J, Sun H, Gao L, Xie L, Cai X 2016 Evaluation of thyroid isthmusectomy as a potential treatment for papillary thyroid carcinoma limited to the isthmus: A clinical study of 73 patients. Head Neck 38 Suppl 1:E1510-1514.
- Mazzaferri EL, Doherty GM, Steward DL 2009 The pros and cons of prophylactic central compartment lymph node dissection for papillary thyroid carcinoma. Thyroid 19:683-689.
- Randolph GW, Duh QY, Heller KS, LiVolsi VA, Mandel SJ, Steward DL, Tufano RP, Tuttle RM, American Thyroid Association Surgical Affairs Committee’s Taskforce on Thyroid Cancer Nodal S 2012 The prognostic significance of nodal metastases from papillary thyroid carcinoma can be stratified based on the size and number of metastatic lymph nodes, as well as the presence of extranodal extension. Thyroid 22:1144-1152.
- Choi SJ, Kim TY, Lee JC, Shong YK, Cho KJ, Ryu JS, Lee JH, Roh JL, Kim SY 2008 Is routine central neck dissection necessary for the treatment of papillary thyroid microcarcinoma? Clin Exp Otorhinolaryngol 1:41-45.
- Ito Y, Kudo T, Kobayashi K, Miya A, Ichihara K, Miyauchi A 2012 Prognostic factors for recurrence of papillary thyroid carcinoma in the lymph nodes, lung, and bone: analysis of 5,768 patients with average 10-year follow-up. World J Surg 36:1274-1278.
- Chang YW, Kim HS, Kim HY, Lee JB, Bae JW, Son GS 2016 Should central lymph node dissection be considered for all papillary thyroid microcarcinoma? Asian J Surg 39:197-201.
- Karatzas T, Charitoudis G, Vasileiadis D, Kapetanakis S, Vasileiadis I 2015 Surgical treatment for dominant malignant nodules of the isthmus of the thyroid gland: A case control study. Int J Surg 18:64-68.
- Haugen BR, Alexander EK, Bible KC, Doherty GM, Mandel SJ, Nikiforov YE, Pacini F, Randolph GW, Sawka AM, Schlumberger M, Schuff KG, Sherman SI, Sosa JA, Steward DL, Tuttle RM, Wartofsky L 2016 2015 American Thyroid Association Management Guidelines for Adult Patients with Thyroid Nodules and Differentiated Thyroid Cancer: The American Thyroid Association Guidelines Task Force on Thyroid Nodules and Differentiated Thyroid Cancer. Vol 26, 1-133.
- Network NCC 2017 Thyroid Carcinoma (Version 1.2017).1-133.
- Lee YS, Jeong JJ, Nam KH, Chung WY, Chang HS, Park CS 2010 Papillary carcinoma located in the thyroid isthmus. World J Surg 34:36-39.
- Lim ST, Jeon YW, Suh YJ 2016 Correlation Between Surgical Extent and Prognosis in Node-Negative, Early-Stage Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma Originating in the Isthmus. World J Surg 40:344-349.
- Wada N, Duh QY, Sugino K, Iwasaki H, Kameyama K, Mimura T, Ito K, Takami H, Takanashi Y 2003 Lymph node metastasis from 259 papillary thyroid microcarcinomas: frequency, pattern of occurrence and recurrence, and optimal strategy for neck dissection. Ann Surg 237:399-407.
- Roh JL, Park JY, Park CI 2007 Total thyroidectomy plus neck dissection in differentiated papillary thyroid carcinoma patients: pattern of nodal metastasis, morbidity, recurrence, and postoperative levels of serum parathyroid hormone. Ann Surg 245:604-610.
- Hahn SY, Han BK, Ko EY, Shin JH, Ko ES 2014 Ultrasound findings of papillary thyroid carcinoma originating in the isthmus: comparison with lobe-originating papillary thyroid carcinoma. AJR Am J Roentgenol 203:637-642.
- Chai YJ, Kim SJ, Choi JY, Koo do H, Lee KE, Youn YK 2014 Papillary thyroid carcinoma located in the isthmus or upper third is associated with Delphian lymph node metastasis. World J Surg 38:1306-1311.
- Santrac N, Besic N, Buta M, Oruci M, Djurisic I, Pupic G, Petrovic L, Ito Y, Dzodic R 2014 Lymphatic drainage, regional metastases and surgical management of papillary thyroid carcinoma arising in pyramidal lobe–a single institution experience. Endocr J 61:55-59.
- Moore KL, Dalley AF, Agur AMR 2013 Clinically Oriented Anatomy. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Song CM, Lee DW, Ji YB, Jeong JH, Park JH, Tae K 2016 Frequency and pattern of central lymph node metastasis in papillary carcinoma of the thyroid isthmus. Head Neck 38 Suppl 1:E412-416.