World Congress on Thyroid Cancer 4.0
July 29 – August 1, 2021
EP52 – US Elastography Using Carotid Artery Pulsation May Increase the Diagnostic Accuracy for Thyroid Nodules with US-Pathology Discordance
Ha, Eun Ju1; Cho, Yoon Joo1; Han, Miran1; Choi, Jin Wook1
1 Department of Radiology, Ajou University School of Medicine, Wonchon-Dong, Yeongtong-Gu, Suwon, Korea
Purpose: To prospectively evaluate the diagnostic performance of ultrasound elastography (USE) using carotid arterial pulsation and to determine interobserver and intraobserver agreements of USE for thyroid nodules.
Materials and Methods: US examination and USE using carotid artery pulsation were performed in 148 patients with 173 nodules in a prospective design. The US features and elasticity contrast index (ECI) were assessed by observer 1 and the ECI was reassessed by observer 2. ROC curve analysis was performed to evaluate the diagnostic performance and to compare the AUC (Az) values of gray-scale US, ECI, and a combined assessment. Intraclass correlation coefficient (ICC) value was used to evaluate the interobserver and intraobserver agreements in the measured ECI values.
Results: Among a total of 173 nodules, 95 nodules were malignant and 78 nodules were benign. The mean ECI was significantly higher in malignant nodules (3.1 ± 1.5) than in benign nodules (1.7 ± 0.8) (p < 0.001). The Az values of each dataset were 0.768 (95% CI, 0.698–0.828) for gray-scale US, 0.695 (0.621–0.763) for ECI, and 0.782 (0.713–0.841) for a combined assessment. ICC for interobserver agreement was 0.96 (p < 0.001), and for intraobserver agreement were 0.97 (p < 0.001) and 0.98 (p < 0.001) for observer 1 and 2, respectively. Excellent interobserver and intraobserver agreement was found in thyroid USE.
Conclusion: USE using carotid artery pulsation may have a potential role to increase the diagnostic accuracy for nodules with US-pathology discordance with reproducible results.
- Akcay MA, Semiz-Oysu A, Ahiskali R, Aribal E. The value of ultrasound elastography in differentiation of malignancy in thyroid nodules. Clin Imaging 2014; 38:100-3.
- Azizi G, Keller J, Lewis M, Puett D, Rivenbark K, Malchoff C. Performance of elastography for the evaluation of thyroid nodules: a prospective study. Thyroid 2013; 23:734-40.
- Azizi G, Keller JM, Mayo ML, Piper K, Puett D, Earp KM, Malchoff CD. Thyroid Nodules and Shear Wave Elastography: A New Tool in Thyroid Cancer Detection. Ultrasound Med Biol 2015; 41:2855-65.
- Bae U, Dighe M, Dubinsky T, Minoshima S, Shamdasani V, Kim Y. Ultrasound thyroid elastography using carotid artery pulsation: preliminary study. Journal of ultrasound in medicine : official journal of the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine 2007; 26:797-805.
- Bamber J, Cosgrove D, Dietrich CF, Fromageau J, Bojunga J, Calliada F, Cantisani V, Correas JM, D’Onofrio M, Drakonaki EE, Fink M, Friedrich-Rust M, Gilja OH, Havre RF, Jenssen C, Klauser AS, Ohlinger R, Saftoiu A, Schaefer F, Sporea I, Piscaglia F. EFSUMB guidelines and recommendations on the clinical use of ultrasound elastography. Part 1: Basic principles and technology. Ultraschall Med 2013; 34:169-84.
- Bhatia KS, Lee YY, Yuen EH, Ahuja AT. Ultrasound elastography in the head and neck. Part I. Basic principles and practical aspects. Cancer Imaging 2013; 13:253-9.
- Bhatia KS, Lee YY, Yuen EH, Ahuja AT. Ultrasound elastography in the head and neck. Part II. Accuracy for malignancy. Cancer Imaging 2013; 13:260-76.
- Cantisani V, Lodise P, Grazhdani H, Mancuso E, Maggini E, Di Rocco G, D’Ambrosio F, Calliada F, Redler A, Ricci P, Catalano C. Ultrasound elastography in the evaluation of thyroid pathology. Current status. Eur J Radiol 2014; 83:420-8.
- Cappelli C, Pirola I, Gandossi E, Agosti B, Cimino E, Casella C, Formenti A, Castellano M. Real-time elastography: a useful tool for predicting malignancy in thyroid nodules with nondiagnostic cytologic findings. J Ultrasound Med 2012; 31:1777-82.
- Choi WJ, Park JS, Koo HR, Kim SY, Chung MS, Tae K. Ultrasound elastography using carotid artery pulsation in the differential diagnosis of sonographically indeterminate thyroid nodules. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2015; 204:396-401.