World Congress on Thyroid Cancer 4.0
July 29 – August 1, 2021
EP7 – Anaplastic Thyroid Cancer: A 15 Years Experience In a Single Institution in Asia
Ahmad, Nor Safariny1, Liew, Sarah1, Basro, Sarinah1, Baghawi, Anita1, Abdullah, Noor Hisham1
1 Department of Surgery, Putrajaya Hospital, Putrajaya, Malaysia
Background: Anaplastic thyroid cancer (ATC) is a rare and aggressive tumor. The optimal multimodality therapy for ATC is still debatable however studies are limited especially from Asian population.
Objectives: This study was aimed to evaluate the survival and prognostic factors of ATC patients in our centre.
Methods: A retrospective study of 64 ATC patients (44 women and 20 men) who were treated in Putrajaya Hospital,Malaysia between 2002 and 2016. Kaplan Meier and log-rank test were used to analyze survival. Cox proportional hazard model was used for univariate and multivariate analysis.
Results: The median age was 62 years. Majority of the patients presented with Stage IVC(52%), whilst others presented with IVA(3%) and IVB(45%). The overall survival for 6 months and 1 year was 9.37% and 4.69% respectively. Median survival was 2 months.
Multimodality treatment (involving surgery, radiotherapy and chemotherapy) significantly increased median survival (p=0.005) whilst patients with nodal metastases, distant metastasis and previous history of papillary thyroid cancer had lower median survival rates.
Univariate analysis showed that both radiotherapy and multimodality treatment improved survival rates with hazard ratio 0.692 and 0.688 respectively. Multivariate analysis showed that hoarseness of voice at presentation was the only independent factor affecting the prognosis of patients(HR:1.690).
Discussion: Our median survival duration falls within 1 to 10 months as reported in other studies. To date, no studies have found that hoarseness of voice is an indicator of poor survival.
Conclusion: Radiotherapy and multimodality treatment could improve overall survival for suitable ATC patients as reported in some studies
- Lo CY, Lam KY, Wan KY. Anaplastic carcinoma of the thyroid. The American journal of surgery. 1999 Apr 30;177(4):337-9.
- Sugitani I, Miyauchi A, Sugino K, Okamoto T, Yoshida A, Suzuki S. Prognostic factors and treatment outcomes for anaplastic thyroid carcinoma: ATC Research Consortium of Japan cohort study of 677 patients. World journal of surgery. 2012 Jun 1;36(6):1247-54.
- Kwon, Jeanny et al.The prognostic impacts of postoperative radiotherapy in the patients with resected anaplastic thyroid carcinoma: A systematic review and meta-analysis. European Journal of Cancer , Volume 59 , 34–45
- Roche, G. Larroumets, C. Dejax, F. Kwiatkowsi, F. Desbiez, P. Thieblot, I. Tauveron. Epidemiology, clinical presentation, treatment and prognosis of a regional series of 26 anaplastic thyroid carcinomas (ATC). Comparison with the literature. Annales d’Endocrinologie, Volume 71, Issue 1, Pages 38-45
- Chen, Jergin MD; Tward, Jonathan D. MD, PhD; Shrieve, Dennis C. MD, PhD; Hitchcock, Ying J. MD. Surgery and Radiotherapy Improves Survival in Patients With Anaplastic Thyroid Carcinoma: Analysis of the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results 1983-2002. American Journal of Clinical Oncology: October 2008-Volume 31-Issues 5-pp 460-464
- Kebebew E, Greenspan FS, Clark OH, Woeber KA, McMillan A. Anaplastic thyroid carcinoma. Cancer. 2005 Apr 1;103(7):1330-5.
- Swaak-Kragten AT, de Wilt JH, Schmitz PI, Bontenbal M, Levendag PC. Multimodality treatment for anaplastic thyroid carcinoma–treatment outcome in 75 patients. Radiotherapy and Oncology. 2009 Jul 31;92(1):100-4.
- Gilliland FD, Hunt WC, Morris DM, Key CR. Prognostic factors for thyroid carcinoma. Cancer. 1997 Feb 1;79(3):564-73.
- Are C, Shaha AR. Anaplastic thyroid carcinoma: biology, pathogenesis, prognostic factors, and treatment approaches. Annals of surgical oncology. 2006 Apr 1;13(4):453-64.
- Besic N, Hocevar M, Zgajnar J, Pogacnik A, Grazio-Frkovic S, Auersperg M. Prognostic factors in anaplastic carcinoma of the thyroid—a multivariate survival analysis of 188 patients. Langenbeck’s Archives of Surgery. 2005 Jun 1;390(3):203-8.
- Conzo, Giovanni et al. Efficacy of combined treatment for anaplastic thyroid carcinoma: Results of a multinstitutional retrospective analysis. International Journal of Surgery , Volume 12 , S178 – S182
- ??Smallridge RC, Ain KB, Asa SL, Bible KC, Brierley JD, Burman KD, Kebebew E, Lee NY, Nikiforov YE, Rosenthal MS, Shah MH. American Thyroid Association guidelines for management of patients with anaplastic thyroid cancer. Thyroid. 2012 Nov 1;22(11):1104-39.