World Congress on Thyroid Cancer 4.0
July 29 – August 1, 2021
EP97 – Water-clear Cell Double Parathyroid Adenoma
Vincent, Aurora1; Goyal, Rajen2; Patel, Uresh3; Robin, Jeffrey4; Vetto, Susan4; Sniezek, Joseph4
1 Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Madigan Army Medical Center, Tacoma, WA
2 CellNetix Pathology, Seattle, WA
3 Seattle Radiology, Seattle, WA
4 Head and Neck Surgery, Swedish Medical Center, Seattle, WA
Background: Parathyroid adenoma is the most common cause of primary hyperparathyroidism, accounting for 85% of cases1-2. Double-adenomas are a controversial source of hyperparathyroidism, with their true incidence reported anywhere from 0-11% in the literature3. A water-clear cell adenoma is an extremely rare variant of parathyroid adenomas, with only 21 cases reported in the literature.
Objective: To present a rare case of a water-clear cell double parathyroid adenoma with review of radiologic imaging, surgical management, pathologic characteristics, and clinical implications.
Method: Herein, we present a case of a water-clear cell double parathyroid adenoma in a 67 year old female. We describe patient work-up with various imaging modalities including ultrasound, sestamibi scan, and 4D CT scan. We also describe the surgical and post-operative management of the patient, pathologic findings, and the associated clinical implications.
Results: The patient presented with primary hyperparathyroidism, a non-localizing sestamibi scan, and a non-localizing formal ultrasound. Surgeon-performed in-office ultrasound was also non-specific. 4D CT revealed two large, bilateral masses, posterior to the thyroid gland, consistent with parathyroid adenomas. The patient underwent parathyroidectomy revealing two superior water-clear cell parathyroid adenomas measuring 3.5cm and 5.5cm in greatest dimension, respectfully, with histologically normal inferior parathyroid glands. The surgery proceeded without complications, and the patient recovered without issues.
Discussion and Conclusion: Overall, water-clear cell parathyroid adenomas are exceedingly rare, with water-clear cell double-adenomas being even less common. Their clinical characterization continues to develop as more cases are reported.
- Marcocci C, Saponaro F. Epidemiology, pathogenesis of primary hyperparathyroidism: current data. Annalles d’Endocrinologie. 2015;76:113-115.
- Khan AA, Hanley DA, Rizzoli R, Bollerslev J, Young JEM, Rejnmark L, Thakker R, D;Amour P, Paul T, Van Uum S, Zakaria Shrayyef M, Goltzman D, Kaiser S, Cusano NE, Bouillon R, et al. Primary hyperparathyroidism: review and recommendations on evaluation, diagnosis, and management.A Canadian and international consensus. Osteoporosis International. 2017;28(1):1-19.
- Barczy?ski M, Bränström R, Dionigi G, Mihai R. Sporadic multiple parathyroid gland disease—a consensus report of the European society of endocrine surgeons (ESES). 2015;400:887-905.
- Bedetti CD, Dekker A, Watson CG. Functioning oxyphil cell adenoma of the parathyroid gland: a clinicopathologic stud of ten patients with hyperparathyroidism.Human Pathology. 1984;15(12):1121-1126.
- Kovacs K, Horvath E, Ozawa Y, Yamada S, Matushita H.Large clear cell adenoma of the parathyroid in a patient with MEN-1 syndrome.Ultrastructural study of the tumour exhibiting unusual RER formations.Acta Biol Hung.1994;45:274-284.
- Grenko RT, Anderson KM, Kauffman G, Abt AB. Water-clear cell adenoma of the parathyroid.A case report with immunohistochemistry and electron microscopy.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1995;119:1072-1074.
- Bêgueret H, Belleannee G, Dubrez J, Trouette H,Parrens M, Velly JF, et al. Clear cell adenoma of the parathyroid gland: a rare and misleading lesion.Ann Pathol. 1999;19:316-319.
- Dundar E, Grenko RT, Akalin A, Karahuseyinoglu E, Bildirici K. Intrathyroidal water-clear cell parathyroid adenoma: a case report.Hum Pathol.2001;31:889-892.
- Kuhel WI, Gonzales D, Hoda SA, Pan L, Chiu A, Giri D, et al. Synchronous water-clear cell double parathyroid adenomas a hitherto uncharacterized entity? Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2001;125:256-259.
- Kanda K, Okada Y, Tanikawa T, Morita E, Tsurudome Y, Konishi T, et al.A rare case of primary hyperparathyroidism with clear cell adenoma.Endocr J. 2004;51:207-212.
- Prasad KK, Agarwal G, Krishnani N.Water-clear cell adenoma of the parathyroid gland: a rare entity.Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 2004;47:39-40.
- Kodama H, Iihara M, OkamotoT, Obara T.Water-clear cell parathyroid adenoma causing primary hyperparathyroidism in a patient with neurofibromatosis type 1: report of a case. Surg Today. 2007;37:884-887.
- Liang Y, Mojica W, Chen F. Water-clear cell adenoma of parathyroid gland: a case report and literature review. N Am J Med Sci. 2010;3:194-198.
- Murakami K, Watanabe M, Nakashima N, Fujimori K, Ishida K, Ohuchi N, Sasano H. Water-clear cell adenoma associated with primary hyperparathyroidism: report of a case. Surg Today. 2014;44:773-777.
- Pigott RP, Waters PS, Ashraf J, Colesky F, Kerin MJ. Water-clear cell adenoma: a rare form of hyperparathyroidism. Int J Surg Case Rep. 2013;4(10):911-913.
- Pirela D, Treitl D, Hussein SE, Poppiti R, Mesko T, Manzano A. Intrathyroidal clear cell tumor of parathyroid origin with review of literature. Case Reports in Pathology. https://dx.doi.org/10.11555/2016/7169564.
- Chou YH, Jhuang JY, Min-Shu H.Water-clear cell parathyroid adenoma in a patient with acute pancreatitis.Journal of the Formosan Medical Association. 2014;113:872-873.
- Patrick T, Seth K, Lawrence K, David R, Edmund P. Water-clear cell parathyroid adenoma: case report and literature review. Thyroid Disorders Ther. 2014;3:160. Doi:10.4172/2167-7948.1000160.
- Naaz I, Sandhu G. Water-clear cell adenoma of parathyroid gland—a case report. 2016;48(1):S145.
- Papanicolau-Sengos A, Brumund K, Lin G, Hasteh F. Cytologic findings of a clear cell parathyroid lesion. Diagnostic Cytopathology. 2013;41(8):725-728.
- Tassone P, Kaplan S, Kenyon L, Rosen D, Pribitkin E. Water-clear cell parathyroid adenoma: case report and literature review. Journal of Thyroid Disorders & Therapy. 2013;3(3): 1-4.
- Ezzat T, Maclean G, Parameswaran R, et al. Primary hyperparathyroidism with water-clear cell content: the impact of histological diagnosis on clinical management and outcome. Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of Englang. 2013;95(3):e60-e62.
- Bai S, Livolsi VA, Fraker DL, Bing Z. Water-clear parathyroid adenoma: report of two cases and literature review. Endocrine Pathology. 2012;23(3):196-200.