Sanofi Genzyme Product Theater: Medullary Thyroid Cancer: A Multidisciplinary Approach to Treatment

      Sanofi Genzyme Product Theater: Medullary Thyroid Cancer: A Multidisciplinary Approach to Treatment Friday, July 28th  12:30 pm – 1:30 pm Sponsored by: Medullary thyroid cancer (MTC) is a rare form of thyroid cancer derived from the neuroendocrine Ccells, which comprises approximately 4% of all thyroid cancers. Of these, around 20% are familial, associated with Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia Syndrome Type 2 (MEN-2), or Familial Medullary Thyroid Cancer (FMTC); while the remaining 80% are sporadic. Both Familial and Sporadic MTC are known to be dependent on Protein Tyrosine Kinases as primary oncogenic driver mutations. MTC secretes both calcitonin and carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA), both of which are sensitive biomarkers for the disease. These markers may be useful for diagnosis, monitoring of disease status, and prognostic information, based on absolute tumor marker concentration and the marker doubling time. While the majority of MTC patients has a good prognosis, those who present with invasive disease, extensive nodal burden, or metastatic disease are unlikely to be surgically cured, and are ultimately likely to require systemic therapy. The first step in effective treatment is accurate diagnosis, which typically falls under the domain of the Endocrinologist, applying optimal approaches to evaluation of thyroid nodules. Surgery is the only curative treatment for MTC, but the disease is frequently metastatic to cervical and retrosternal lymph nodes. Consequently, adequate preoperative staging should be followed by surgery performed by an experienced oncology-trained Thyroid or Head and Neck Surgeon, knowledgeable in the disease process. Monitoring and surveillance requires a thoughtful multidisciplinary approach, which may include experienced Endocrinologist, Surgeon and – particularly for patients with advanced, metastatic and progressive disease – Medical Oncologist. Treatment of advanced disease will require the involvement of Surgical, Radiation and Medical Oncology specialists. The best possible outcomes in MTC can occur only in a truly multidisciplinary team setting. In the first half of this presentation we will review the latest guidelines for the diagnosis, initial management and subsequent monitoring of Medullary Thyroid Cancer. In the second part of the presentation, you will learn about the appropriate use of an FDA approved tyrosine kinase inhibitor for the treatment of advanced medullary thyroid cancer. We look forward to your participation in this exciting Program. Speaker: Bryan McIver  

 

Leave a Reply